I’m happy to be back a second week in a row, reviewing life, blog, and books from the past week. It’s been another fairly busy week in the life. There’s not a whole lot to note on a personal level, but I still have thoughts that I am happy to share about my own blogging. I only managed to publish two blog posts this week, but I’ve made progress several projects that will be the topics of future blog posts.
I have some ideas on how to make these Week in Review posts more interesting! I didn’t feel equipped to integrate them today, but hopefully next week I will add a few more sections to that inspire greater dialogue and discussion.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Weekend! I regret to say I did nothing in particular to celebrate or commemorate the reverend this year, but I did appreciate the extra day off of school (and therefore work) I received. The past weekend, Saturday was pretty much slept away, so I only really had Sunday to do anything significant. But I managed to put a lot of blog-work time in this weekend, and I am really happy with the posts that have been going up!
- New workout routine. I’ve been needing to start working out regularly again after recovering from my back injury at the beginning of the month. I used to do the elliptical, but with my brother home it’s been hard to share. Pilates was also out of the question while my back was stiff because a lot of the specific moves required some back strength to begin with. So I was lucky when found a high intensity, low impact workout routine on YouTube that I could perform standing up! It made a massive improvement in how I felt just the first three days of doing it. I had some initial leg soreness, but by continuing to force myself to power through it quickly went away.
- The Vanishing Stair was released! So this is not really a life update, but it was a highlight of my week to come home after work one evening and find I had received the book in the mail! The online images don’t do the cover justice. It’s a gorgeous deep pinkish-red. I can’t wait to read it!
- I was selected for an extra work event. We had our monthly staff meeting at work last week, where we volunteer for special events outside of the regular schedule. I rarely got anything last so imagine my surprise when I found out I was selected for one that I signed up for! It means I’m going to have a hellishly long Friday next week, so I’m definitely going to need to rest up the night before. I also need to sort out a costume. I need to dress up as Edna Mode from The Incredibles. I should also probably watch The Incredibles…
- The end of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. One of my favorite Netflix shoes finally came to an end with this Friday’s release of Part 2 of Season 4. I binge-watched most of it last night and, I must say, it was kind of disappointing. The episodes were longer but they also dragged on. There were some highlights, but over all I can’t believe the show ended on such an underwhelming note. Especially because the first half of Season 4 was amazing!
I don’t know why I can be so hard on myself about the blog sometimes. A part of me wishes I could blog every day, updating you all on the finer details of each day. Just so that you will know what I’m working on. I think it’s a part of me that wants validation for all the work I do that is still unfinished. But then I remind myself that consistency should be the aim. If I’m doing two blog posts each week, that’s better than if I do five one week and then take a break for a month!
I have a lot of blog posts ideas and drafts half-started. I also have a lot of posts scheduled that I’ve needed to reschedule as each day passes that I’ve not been able to complete them. I think that’s why I can feel like I’m not doing anything, because I’m not seeing blog posts be published as quickly as I have new ideas for more!
I have to remind myself that I am working on multiple posts at the same time each week, not because I’m procrastinating on any one in particular, but because I don’t find it realistic to dedicate all my time to just one project (e.g. writing, Skillshare, job hunting, reading). I feel much happier with my work when I am able to work what I feel like working on. I never feel like I’m slacking on something anymore, by finding ways to work on most things even just a little at a time.
B L O G P O S T S
- M | Learning About Starting a Business on Skillshare
- T | Books I Meant to Read in 2018 but Didn’t Get To | Top Ten Tuesday
U P C O M I N G P O S T S
These are the blog posts I’m confident will be ready to go this week. There might be another few (of the monthly wrap up/goals variety), but it will all depend on my finishing them in time!
- T | The Ten Most Recent Additions to My To-Read List | Top Ten Tuesday
- W | February BuJo Spread ⁂ ✧.: *: ･
- R | Thoughts on Man in the High Castle
B L O G G O A L S
I’ve decided to set myself some blog goals for the week, because I want to start disciplining myself a little better.
- Only schedule blog posts that are finished
- Create a inventory of posts that can go up on weeks I don’t have time to blog
- Blog hop
I’ve set myself all of these goals at one point in the past or another. They feel especially relevant now, so I’m going to make a greater effort to do these things this week. None of these goals are absolutely essential, but I think they will make me happier in the long run.
I finally finished The Man in the High Castle this week! It turned out to be a really fascinating read. It started off really slow while introducing the characters and their life predicaments, and by the end it had me thinking a lot about what everything means. I had hoped I might be able to publish my thoughts on the book last night after I finished it, but I realized I really needed more time to let it set. I also want to do some research on the book, which might help me speak more eloquently about it in my post.
I was still in the reading mood last night, so I decided to pick up Truly, Devious by Maureen Johnson! I’m hoping it will be a quick read. I’m already about 30 pages into the book and Stevie has just arrived at Ellingham. I’m paying better attention to the flashbacks and her research this time around so hopefully I can make some accurate predictions about the revelations of The Vanishing Stair!
It is hard to believe it is finally the last week of January. I feel like it was actually a really long month, which I’m happy about because I hate feeling like time is slipping away at a pace with which I cannot keep up. I will be busy this week trying to tie up a few loose ends on January so can start February off with a bang. I also want to do a lot more posting in February, so I want to do as much as possible now to be successful next month.
For me that means getting my February bujo spread done, deciding what to prioritize next month, and getting anything I can done in advance (i.e. blog post images, headers, etc.). I also need to finish up a couple of reads…