Hello! Welcome to this week’s Weekly Review. Although I didn’t post that much this week on the blog, I have been up to stuff behind the scenes, which is why I love this blog feature! I don’t have to disappear entirely off the face of the earth just because I didn’t do any polished stand-alone blog posts.
I had a hard time thinking about what I wanted to do this month. Part of that is just life crashing in to remind me the blog is not my life! It’s a tough reminder, but a good one too.
I don’t want to lie, I’m not sure how much you can expect to see of me for the rest of the month. I’m not even really blog hopping right now, which sucks because I love so many of your blogs. It’s just that I have a lot of other stuff on my mind right now that I don’t want to neglect. Hopefully by September, things will be back to a happier normal!
➴ This Week’s Blog Posts
➴ What I Read
- How I Resist: Activism and Hope for the Next Generation (edited) by Maureen Johnson & Tim Federle | • | I found myself drawn to this book in July and finally finished it yesterday! I quite liked many of the stories, but I had trouble moving from one piece to the next quickly. I read this anthology about 4–5 pieces at a time. As a fairly well informed liberal-minded college graduate who practically lives on the internet, nothing in this book was too new. It was great to see so many different voices with similar arguments but in a variety of personal ways.
- Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes | • | I started this book last week for the #MakeMeRead It Read-A-Thon! I’ve actually annoyed I didn’t finish until Monday, because once I really got into the book it was not hard to keep reading. I just have trouble reading for more than an hour at a time sometimes. I had my reservations, but overall this was a fun read. I actually picked up the sequel right away, as I already had it, and I’m interested in binging that one ASAP!
• • • • • Currently Reading • • • • •
- Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes | • | Like I mentioned above, I started this one right away after finishing Falling Kingdoms. I feel like if I don’t get straight to this book, I never will, as I wasn’t too blown away by the first book but feel like the series still has potential.
➴ Blog Housekeeping
As I mentioned in my August Goals + TBR ➹, I have a short list of things I want to finish up by the end of the month. These things are the reason I’ve decided to take it easy with the blog posts (and even blog hopping).
My Blog To-Do List
- Create new blog header image (a.k.a. establish “site identity”)
- Create original base images for monthly memes & my weekly reviews
- Update blog navigation bar
- Update static pages
- Update social media selfies (my hair is literally past my shoulders now…)
➴ Novel Progress
I’ve not been working on my novel since vacation. Instead I’ve been getting all the other areas of my life in order! But I’ve been inspired recently by a new YouTube video from my favorite YouTube writer Katytastic, “WRITING CHAT | PLOTTING VS PANTSING,” so I thought I’d share!
I used to be more of a pantser and part of me has begun to wonder, maybe I should give pantsing a shot again? If the trade off is needing to revise more, I think I can handle that. It sounds fun . . .
- My dad had prostate surgery. Shortly before he went to Israel, we discovered he had prostate cancer. His doctor said it would be okay for him to put off surgery for a few months, so he went for his detail and returned in July to get his affairs in order leading up to the removal surgery. Everything went well, but the surgery took longer than anticipated because . . . I forget what exactly was stuck to what! Anyway he’s gonna take a while to return to normal, so it’s almost like my Mom & I have been home alone again!
- I’ve started something of a diet. I’ve been on a health journey this year, starting officially in June, I would say. It’s then I began a steady workout routine. One thing, that has always been my biggest struggle, is my diet. I almost want to say I have a binge eating disorder. I don’t know if that’s actually a thing, but I do know I’ve have a bad relationship to food since I was a child. When/if I see results from my diet, I may do a blog post about it. I kind of feel like I’ve lost weight, but I can’t look at a scale. It’s really triggering.
- I’m now all caught up on Sherlock. I first watched Sherlock when there were just the first two seasons available on Netflix. While I adored the first season, I think I only watched s03e01 to find out how before feeling like the show was becoming a bit absurd. You can’t really be multitasking when watching this show! It was fun watching a younger Benedict Cumberbatch after having finally become a real fan from watching Patrick Melrose this summer.
- I also watched To All the Boys I Loved Before this week on Netflix and loved it! Finally Netflix puts out a great movie for teens! I was never interested in reading the book, but the movie trailer really intrigued me so I gave the movie a go Friday night. I loved Lara Jean and could really relate to her fears and anxieties about letting people get close to her. And for once, I really liked the jock love interest! He was played so wonderfully. I loved the ending. This cute rom-com truly caught me off guard, and I’m not easily impressed!
❧ ☙ END NOTE ☙ ❧
With the two weeks of August left, I really want to get my blog to-do list done, write, and read. So that may mean I’m not posting as much this month. It is my hope that once I get my to-do list done, it will be easier to post more frequently and on time! Do know that I have some fun stuff planned! I did a lot of brain-storming pre-vacation and I’m still really excited about a lot of my post ideas. They may just not come until September.
At the very least, you can count on Novel Progress resuming this week and maybe a review of How I Resist. And these Weekly Reviews of course! I find them quite fun to write and a reminder that life is happening behind the blog ^_^